Tuesday, December 22, 2009

There must be something more

I just finished reading Erin and Sinead's updated blog (which you can read at http://www.roundtheworldmissions.blogspot.com/) and once again, I feel humbled and challanged.

Erin and Sinead are two girls from South Auckland who are on a world missions trip to spread the love of Jesus Christ, to experience the things God has for them, and to bring back what they've learnt for our church, just to name a few. Who they are and what they've learnt from God these past few weeks has really inspired me and opened my eyes...there is a burn in my heart to one day do what they are doing. Hopefully, God has that in mind for me in the future.

Reading their blog made me remember that God put a passion in my heart for social justice, for the lost, poor, broken and needy.
It has made me realise how petty and small and insignificant things that rich people like us make out small things to be. People in other parts of the world struggle to get by everyday. They resort to begging... prostitution... drugs... scavenging like animals.... eating bark off trees because of a lack of food... selling flowers at night in the red light district in Thailand where rape is bound to happen, and you're just 4 years old. Children are being forced to kill their own brothers and sisters and women are being killed by their own fathers because they have been raped. And today I did the dishes in a huff, I was selfish with my food and I was snippy after a mere 3 hour shift at work. Right now, my 'problems' seem so futile. Because it is.

What have you got annoyed at today?

Well, I'm not sure, but my guess is that me, you and people living in this country have just gotten so darn ungrateful of what we have and just how lucky we are. Not lucky, BLESSED. You are blessed. I am blessed.
I have working limbs. I have a roof over my head, food to come home to everynight, and food to wake up to in the morning. I have a doctor who I can go to with for free when I'm sick, and I all my family members are alive. I have parents who take care of me and provide me with the things I need and want. I am working, the job is not back breaking, and I am paid fairly on top of that. I can see. I can smell. I can hear. I can feel. I can talk. I can touch. I have more than enough clothes to last me for a very long time. I have alot of shoes, which I don't wear half of. I have access to clean water. I have a comfy bed, and privacy. I see the sun every morning, and the beautiful stars at night. I see blue and green on a summers day. When I walk out the door, I breathe, and I breathe in fresh air. People my age are always saying, 'New Zealand is crap.' But I say it's the world's paradise. Look around you, and you'll understand. Look at our news headlines compared to America's. Look at our scenery, our beaches, our people, our cultures, our sky. But best of all, I know and love the true God. The God of Heaven and Earth, the God who provides all of this for me.

How have you been blessed?

I'm sure you and I are blessed by more than a thousand ways.

I am just challanged once again to love others and love God in the ways where it counts- spending time with loved ones, with God and myself. Afterall, each day without love is a day wasted. I am challanged to count my blessings everyday, to be content with what I have and not with getting more. I am challanged to not utter a single word of complaint. I am challanged to give more to the needy, not just my money, but most importantly my time. Anyone can give money to the poor. It's the time people are hesitant to give. I am challanged and will try to be always. Like Erin & Sinead, I want God to turn me upside down, flip me inside out and break my heart for what's worth hurting for. I don't have to be half way around the world to do that. Right here, right now, I can make a difference. And so can you.

"I am Yours, and if you choose to cut me to pieces, every single pieces will be only all Yours." Mother Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment