Friday, January 22, 2010

RA RA RA RAAAAAAA!

So I've been listening to The Devil Wears Prada today and watching their vids on Youtube, and as usual I was amazed and inspired by the passion these guys have not only for music but for their faith.

Alot of my friends ask me why I like that type of music because they only see it as 'just screaming' and also cause they 'can't hear what they're saying.' One friend even said it felt like they were telling her off. Haha that's pretty funny. I usually never had an answer to their questions, not until now: Passion.

It goes with every hardcore band I admire. When they play their instruments, when they belt out a song, when they scream, when they perform altogether, you can't deny that they put all their energy, all they have and all they don't have into it. They are unrelentless, they don't care about what people think or about what they look like, they are simply doing what they love with an incredible passion for it.

When I listen to bands like TDWP and Underoath, I don't hear the annoying screaming some people hear. I feel the music, and I listen to the lyrics. They are so heartfelt and beautiful. The people who ask me why I like them don't notice that.


I have a friend who loves rap but I didn't like it. Also, she didn't like hardcore. We were discussing our music tastes, and I gave her a song by Underoath to listen to that had minimal screaming but amazing lyrics. She loved it when she had a listen to the lyrics. She in turn gave me a rap song to listen to that had raw and meaningful lyrics, and I loved it! I think that yes, some hardcore and some rap music are distasteful, but when both genres are used to glorify God, it's the most wonderful thing.

When people diss me for this type of music, aren't they also dissing God? It's funny because He gave those people the talents, abiblities and passion to do what they do now. And we can't put God in a box when it comes to music. It's so inaccurate to say that God only loves soft praise songs. I believe with all my heart that whatever music is played to give glory to God, whether its hardcore or acoustic, rap or indie, IS praise and worship. There are just different ways of doing it. I love those bands because their music shows their passion for God and music in an obvious way. Also, I would say I'm passionate too.


Really, who cares about genre of music. As long as God's name is being honoured and lifted, all types music should be cherished and encouraged. Just saying, look beyond the sweaty, screaming men. Look at how much talent, energy and passion it takes to do what they do, and only then can you point the finger at me.

1 comment:

  1. Thats very true.
    And important to remember.

    They're using their God-given gifts for His praise. In the way which they were called todo. xD

    Laura x

    ReplyDelete