Sunday, July 24, 2011

Vegetarianism revamped.

A few of you might have read a post I made on vegetarianism a while ago and how I wanted to know what eating meat and not eating meat means to my faith. I was getting fed up with vegetarians thinking that their lifestyle is the right one and forcing their beliefs on others. In my research, I found that neither lifestyle was right or wrong. I believe it is a personal decision and, like with any belief you have, not to be shoved down people's throats.

A couple days ago, I was scrolling down my Facebook and I saw a friend post a link on a trailer for a documentary on humanity's dependance on animals and their disrespect for them. This lead on to a link where I could watch the full documentary. For some reason, I was compelled.

And so, I watched the hour long video in disgust and awe. We have forced animals to be used as pets, food, clothing, entertainment and testers in medical science and yet, the hard fact is, they are constantly treated with complete disrespect and no mercy. God loves us humans, even though we are rotton and are (now) far less pure than animals, and he gave us responsibilty to look after all the plants and animals of the earth. (Genesis 9:3 says, "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything"). That means treating nature and animals with respect because it is God's property, His creation, made out of His love. Throughout the documentary, I kept thinking that we have fallen so far from Eden. What was once companionship with and love for animals has turned into an egotistic massacre of them.
I did not agree wih all of the film, but it had some raw truths that were hard to deny. If you would like to watch and be changed in some way, click here.

I guess you could say I have decided to become vegetarian. Well, not really. I decided to (try) cut out meat from my diet because I do not agree with the way animals are treated and killed for our own hunger. And like the documentary says, if you hope that the meat you buy has not been processed in a disgusting way, then you do not have the right to refuse to see what happens in slaughterhouses. I have made that decision to not buy meat altogether because I now know what happens to the animals before they are put in our supermarkets. I'm getting preachy. I'm sorry. All in all, just want to say watch the video if you are inclined and this is basically where I stand now after it. Awesome.

2 comments:

  1. Omg I totes wanna be a vegetarian too for the same reason!! I always tell myself that when I grow up and am in charge of my own groceries, I'd only buy organic meat (and eggs) or none at all.

    It's so sad how animals are treated. I mean, I'm no animal lover (definitely not) - but the treatment is just so inhumane.

    But my parents by cheap and I guess the caged stuff is all we can afford. In my house, being a vegetarian would not be practical, but I'd like to think that when I'm old enough and in charge, I would buy free-range... and fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha that's awesome Laura! Yeah I totally know what you mean. My family is all about the meat and we even sometimes kill our own chickens and ducks in our very backyard. Being vegetarian is a joke to them. If only some people knew how terrible animals have to suffer to get into our bellies.
    Let's do this (or someday)! =] I believe we can.

    ReplyDelete