Thursday, May 5, 2011

Your views on mainstream music.

I don't like or listen to mainstream music very much. To me, it's all generic, and I think some of these artists make music for the money, fame and glamour more than the love of it. I notice mainstream music is about relationships, getting drunk in the club, sex, partying etc, and while I think it is quite shallow, it's popular because people like to listen to this kind of stuff with those kind of themes. Music which touches depression, feeling trapped and angry at this world, life being beautiful and painful, having the hope to go on, social injustice...it's all things I enjoy listening to. It has substance. It is life, and that kind of music is a companion along the way. I get annoyed when some mainstream artists are put on a pedestal for their music when it's crap. What about Underoath, Have Heart and Ascend The Hill, which gives their all and burns all their passion for the love of music? I feel like sometimes bands like these don't get the recognition they deserve.
I know not all mainstream music is like what I described and I have nothing against people who listen to it. I used to be a hardout mainstream listener, but I started widening my music horizon and started to listen to indie rock, post rock, hardcore and acoustic. I still listen to mainstream music when I want a bit of fun, but it is definitely not my first choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment